2015-17 Mustang Ecoboost Ford Racing Sport Axle Back Install
Posted 1/29/2015 by Jay Walling
2015-17 Mustang Ecoboost Ford Racing Sport Axle Back Installation Instructions
Read along as Late Model Restoration walks you through a step by step install of the Ford Racing Sport Axle Back on the 2015 Mustang Ecoboost.
- 10 mm & 15 mm socket with a 3/8" ratchet, assorted extension set
- Jack and jack stands (If you have access to a lift this would be best)
- Cut-off wheel or hacksaw
- Die-grinder with sandpaper disc to remove any burs
- Small flat-head screwdriver
- Measuring Tape
- Sharpie marker
- Friend to help lift the exhaust off of the downpipe
- Safety glasses/face shield
- Durable set of work gloves
- Lift and support your Mustang using the jack and jack stands. Remove the two 10 mm bolts for the hangers located closest to the rear-end center section. Rotate the hangers downwards and out of your way.
- Locate and remove the two 10 mm bolts from the rear exhaust hanger. (repeat for the other side)
- At the front of the resonator, loosen the two 15 mm bolts on the sleeve.
- Lift the tab with your screwdriver and slide the pipe towards the rear of the vehicle. (This is the part where a friend will be needed to help you) Carefully remove the exhaust and set aside.
- Take the hangers from step 3 and transfer them to the new axle back set, as well as the two included clamps.
- Use your tape measure and Sharpie, mark a line at the start of the bend of the tube going into the stock muffler. Make a second line 2" from the first line. You will make your cut at the line closest to the muffler. NOTE: Take your time when cutting and make sure it is straight. The straighter the line, the cleaner the install will be overall.
- Start your cutting on the line, make sure to have all safety equipment handy and a few 2x4's to help hold the pipes off of the ground while cutting. Grind off any sharp edges once you have completed all cutting.
- Repeat steps 7&8 for the other side of your S550 Mustang.
- Re-install the factory mid-pipe back on the vehicle, and loosely tighten the bolts from step 2 & 4.
- Take your new FRPP axle back set and slide them into place. Next re-install your muffler hangers and fully tighten up the bolts. Tighten the muffler to mid-pipe clamps, and then move towards the front of the car tightening up the bolts from step 2&4.
- Finally, check for proper alignment of your tip's and enjoy!
Stay tuned-in to LMR.com for all of your 2015-17 S550 parts and videos!
About the Video
EcoBoost Mustang Ford Racing Sport Axleback Exhaust Clip (2015-2016 2.3L)
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2014-11-18
Give your 2015 EcoBoost Mustang a great sound with Ford Racing's famous Sport axle back kit! The kit features 2.25" stainless steel mandrel bent tubing that uses the stock hangers and mounts. You'll simply cut the factory mufflers off and then bolt these mufflers on with the provided clamps. Ford Racing finishes it off with shiny 4" tips that will look great coming from the rear valance of your 2015 EcoBoost Mustang!