2005-2014 S197 Center Console Removal
From time to time, removal of the center console is needed for your 05-14 S197 Mustang. Whether installing a new floor carpet, general cleaning, or even floor pan repairs, knowledge of removing this center console is needed. Most of these steps are shared between 2005-2009 and 2010-2014 models. We will walk you through these year model differences in the article below.
Trim Removal Set
Phillips Head Screwdrivers
Cleaning Supplies (Microfiber Towels, All-Purpose Cleaner, Vacuum)
1/4" Drive Ratchet, Socket Set, and Extensions
All console hardware needs to be finger tight (Approx. 15-20 in/lb)
2005-2009 Removal Steps
- To begin, for automatic cars, gently pry up on the shifter bezel with a non-marring tool to remove it.
- For manual equipped cars, remove the shifter boot from the console and then rotate the shift knob counter-clockwise to remove it.
- Open the center console and remove the two rear Phillips head screws.
- Separate the upper section of the console, starting in the back.
- At the front, grab one side at a time to release the two clips.
- Now, you can fully remove the upper section.
- Remove the passenger side dash trim by pulling rearward to remove the clips. Do the same for the driver side trim.
- Remove the felt liner from the bottom of the console.
- Loosen and remove the two 10mm nuts.
- Loosen and remove the two 7mm screws at the front of the console.
- From within the center opening of the console, disconnect the electrical connections.
- Lift the lower section over the e-brake handle, and it can be set aside.
- To reinstall the console, reverse the removal steps.
2010-2014 Removal Steps
- Start by engaging the parking brake.
- For manual equipped cars, rotate the shift knob counterclockwise to remove it. Remove any additional retainers or jam nuts if you have an aftermarket shifter like we do.
- For automatic cars, put the gear selector lever in neutral.
- Gently pry up on the shifter bezel with a non-marring tool to remove it.
- Open the center lid on the center compartment.
- Pull up on the upper console section to dislodge the clips.
- Disconnect the traction/hazard/trunk switch electrical connector.
- Disconnect the two ambient light electrical connectors if equipped.
- Remove the parking brake boot from the lower section by lifting up to release the tabs.
- Disconnect the power point and audio jack electrical connectors.
- If equipped, disconnect the USB electrical connector.
- Pull outward on the console side panels to release the retaining clips.
- Loosen and remove the two 7mm screws at the front of the console
- Remove the mat from within the center compartment if it’s still in place. Loosen and remove the two 10mm nuts.
- Lift the console up and position the parking brake boot through the opening.
- Tilt the rear of the console up to remove it fully.
- To reinstall the console, simply reverse the removal steps.
Alright, folks! I hope this article helped you understand the console removal process for all 2005-2014 S197 Mustangs.! For all things 2005 to 2014 Mustang, keep it right here with the real enthusiasts, LMR.com!