How To Remove 2010-2014 S197 Mustang Taillights
Date Created: 11/10/2022
Last Updated: 11/11/2022
Follow along as we walk you through the steps of removing your 2010-2014 S197 Mustang tail lights!
10 14 mustang
Removing the tail lights on your 2010-2014 Mustang is very straightforward and does not require a lot of tools to get the job done. So follow along, and we'll walk you through the removal steps.
- Socket Set
- Small flat-blade screwdriver
- Plastic trim removal tool
- First, you’ll want to open the trunk by using the key fob or the dedicated switch on the center console. Then, head to the front of the car and disconnect the negative battery cable. It’s always good practice to do this when working with electrical components regardless of the job's complexity. Back at the rear of the car, locate the rearward trim panel.
- Loosen and remove the upper screw-type retainers. There is one on each side. Sometimes these can be difficult to remove, so you may have to gently remove the retainer with a plastic trim removal tool.
- Use the plastic pry tool to remove the two lower push pins. There is one per side as well. These are awkward to access because of the recess in the trim panel.
- Lift straight up on the trim panel to dislodge the clips. Roll it forward and disconnect the trunk light electrical connection.
- Lift up on the spare tire cover and then remove the trim panel from the car.
- Starting on the driver's side, loosen and remove the 13mm bolt securing the trunk carpet to the car. This is optional, but it does allow more room to roll back the carpet to gain access to the tail light nuts.
- Rotate the trunk carpet away from the car's rear. Locate the three nuts securing the tail light. Loosen and remove each nut with an 11mm deep socket.
- Disconnect the electrical connection and push the grommet through the car's body.
- Shimmy the tail light backward and pass the connector through the opening to remove it from the car.
- Use this opportunity and clean the area. Wipe up any dirt with a microfiber towel and a waterless wash product.
- The steps for the passenger side are the same unless you have a factory-installed subwoofer. Depending on the working area you may have to remove the subwoofer.
- To do this, you’ll need to remove the spare tire cover, remove the retaining hardware, and disconnect the electrical connection.
- Go ahead and repeat the same steps to remove the passenger side tail light.
- If you’re installing new lights or reinstalling the existing ones, simply reverse the removal procedure. After that, you’re good to go!
We hope this article has helped you remove the tail lights from your 2010-2014 S197 Mustang. That’s all we have for today, so until next time; y’all know what to do for all things S197 Mustang; keep it right here with the real enthusiasts, LMR.com!
About the Video
How To Remove 2010 -2014 S197 Mustang Tail Lights
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2022-08-05
How To Remove 2010-2014 Mustang Tail Lights!
Here's a tutorial showing you how to remove the tail lights on a 2010-2014 Mustang. In the video, Landan is working on a 2011 Mustang GT. These steps are applicable for all 2010 to 2014 Mustangs.