In this article, LMR breaks down the adjustment steps after installing your aftermarket panhard bars in your 2005-2014 S197 Mustang.
Lowering your Mustang is often one of the first mods that enthusiasts do. The S197 chassis comes equipped with a fixed non-adjustable panhard bar from the factory. After lowering your vehicle, if you don't have an adjustable panhard bar in place, the axle center line will be thrown off. Let's head over to one of our S197 Mustangs to show you the step by step instructions to adjust your panhard bar. Overall this one should take you roughly an hour to complete.
- Lift or Jack and Jacks Stands
- Tape Measure
- Level or Plumb Bob
- Assorted Adjustable Wrenches
S197 Mustang Panhard Bar Adjustment Steps
- Start by removing the stock panhard bar if still equipped.
- Next, you will need to align the adjustable panhard bar to the OEM length. Set these next to each other on a clean work surface and align these using the stock bolts from center to center.
- Once this is completed you can go ahead and snug down your jam nuts and reinstall the panhard bar back in the car.
- After installing the new bar, one thing to look for would be interference between the bar and the differential cover. With the many different aftermarket designs and options of panhard bars and diff covers on the market, this can happen from time to time. If you do run across this, make sure to check out the panhard bar relocation brackets below.
- Lower the car back down on the ground at this time. If you have lowered the vehicle then, your center line may be thrown off. You can apply a few small strips of low-tack painters tape here to avoid scratching the paint.
- Using a level or plumb bob and a tape measure, set the level next to the flat area of your quarter panel. Measure the differences between each side and a few different spots. If they are not equal to each other then you will need to make adjustments as needed. Before making your adjustments, your vehicle needs to be level and the tires also need to be on the ground. If you have access to a drive on style lift, this will be best.
- With the jam nuts loose, adjust the panhard bar clockwise or counterclockwise depending on which way you need the car to shift. The body of the vehicle will move left to right depending on which way you turn this. Make minor adjustments until your measurements are identical on each side.
- Once this is set, apply a small dab of blue thread locker on each of the jam nuts and fully tighten them down.
- Check over your work and test drive the vehicle. You're all done!
Well everyone, we hope this article has helped you have a better understanding of how to adjust your aftermarket panhard bar for your S197 Mustang. We would like to mention that this process is not always 100% accurate. If you choose you can always take your vehicle to a local alignment shop, especially if you have just recently lowered the car. This would be an excellent time for them to look everything over from the front to rear.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiast at LMR.com