Mustang Cat-back Exhaust System Installation Instructions (15-18)
Created by Tyler Rodriquez
Last Updated 2/15/2018
How to Install a Cat-back System on your S550 Mustang
- Ratchet Set
- Floor Jack
- Basic Tools
- Remove the exhaust hangers closest to the back w/ a 13mm deep socket. Then rotate the end of the hanger downwards.
- Loosen (2) factory band clamps on the front factory mid-muffler.
- Locate and loosen the two exhaust hangers just above the muffler tips.
- Repeat Step 3 to the other side.
- With help, carefully remove the exhaust from the car.
- Once the exhaust is removed, use an exhaust hanger removal tool(purchasable at most auto stores) to remove the hangers and transfer them to the new exhaust.
- Carefully remove the two exhaust clamps using a rubber mallet. Slide them onto your new exhaust pipe.
Aftermarket Exhaust System Installation Instructions
- Start by installing the muffler section of the exhaust with help from a friend. Put the hanger closest to the muffler tip first, then the hanger closest to the rear end center section.
- Slide the (2) included clamps on the X-Pipe.
- At the front of the included X-Pipe, slide the exhaust clamp towards the factory exhaust. Snug the bolts down, but not all the way.
- Firmly tighten down the four bolts on the clamps.
- Next, tighten down the exhaust clamps in front of the X-Pipes.
- Have a friend apply pressure to the rear or axelback portion and tighten down the (4) hangers.
- Check that you've tightened all of the clamps on your new exhaust beginning at the X-Pipe and moving to the Rear Mufflers. Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs. making sure the clamp bolts are centered between the notches in the pipe.
- Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
- Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary.
Popular 2015-16 Mustang Catbacks
About the Video
Mustang GT Gibson Catback Exhaust Install (2015-2016 5.0L)
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2014-11-02
In this video, we show you how simple installing a Gibson Catback exhaust kit for your 2015 5.0 Mustang really is!
Both 2015 Mustang Gibson exhaust kits are made from mandrel bent, 3" stainless steel tubing for increased exhaust flow which improves power and torque. It features an x pipe and Superflow mufflers to help get maximum performance. It is finished of with 4.5" polished intercooled tips to give the rear of your S550 an aggressive new look.
latemodelrestoration.com SVE Performance 5.0 Resto