In this article LMR covers the installation of SVE’s aluminum radiator covering all 2015-21 GT and GT350 Mustang applications. SVE is known for superior bolt-on parts for your S550. This radiator will be made from 100% aluminum construction and features a factory fit with no modifications. This will provide you with a higher coolant capacity, improved heat dissipation, and keeping your Mustang running better than stock on and off the track.
We will be working on our 2018 GT here in the shop and will show you the step-by-step procedures for the installation of this part. Overall this install should take you roughly 2 hours to complete.
- First, you will need to remove the stock radiator from the vehicle. Make sure to check out our step-by-step S550 Mustang radiator removal guide on how this is done.
- For this install, it will be in your best interest to use a lift or jacks and jack stands.
- Before the install, you will need to transfer the stock fan assembly to the new radiator. To do this you will need to remove the (2) 10mm bolts and slide the fan assembly out of the retaining tabs. Set the stock radiator aside, and now we can begin working on the new SVE unit.
- Lay the radiator on your work surface and install the cooling fan assembly. This will be held in place by (2) 10mm bolts and the (2) lower tabs.
- If the isolators are still on the stock radiator, make sure to transfer these over to the frame rail.
- Set the radiator in place and align the lower isolators to the mounting studs from the new radiator.
- Slide the transmission cooler in the tab located on the driver’s side.
- Align both the upper bracket and the lower hose bracket and reinstall the 10mm bolts.
- Align the condenser tabs and seat this in place like the factory radiator. We used a flat bladed screwdriver to help fully seat these down.
- Reinstall all of the 10mm bolts for the (2) upper radiator mounts.
- Reconnect the electrical connector for the fan.
- Reinstall the upper radiator hose.
- Reinstall both of the 10mm bolts for the degas bottle.
- Reinstall the overflow hoses. One attaches to the radiator and the other to the bottle.
- Reinstall your Cold Air Intake or Factory Air Box. This will include the 7mm clamp at the throttle body, both PCV connections, the sound tube, the MAF connector, and the 10mm bolt on the fender.
- Heading back under the car, reconnect the lower radiator hose.
- Fully install the drain on the new radiator. Make sure this is tight to help prevent any leaks.
- Now reinstall your lower splash pan. The splash pan is held in place with a series of 7mm bolts and the associated push pins.
- Get the vehicle on level ground and then fill your degas bottle up. Start the car and periodically check the coolant levels and fill accordingly until all air is fully purged from the system.
- Verify the thermostat opens and keep topping off if necessary.
- Reinstall the radiator cover at this time. Double-check for any leaks and top off your coolant if need be.
- You're all done!
We hope that this article has helped you and you have a better understanding of how to install your new SVE aluminum radiator on your S550 Mustang.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.