In this article, we will be covering the removal and replacement of the fuel filter covering all 2005-2014 Mustangs. The fuel filter in your Mustang is a vital maintenance part that needs to be replaced from time to time. Ford recommends replacing this filter every 30,000 miles. These can become clogged over time and will cause driveability and fuel economy issues on your Mustang.
Today in the shop, we have this 2012 GT500. All 2005-2010 V8’s and all 2007-2014 GT500’s will come equipped with this Motorcraft filter. All 2011-2014 Coyote V8’s Will Not; these vehicles will have an internal filter located within the fuel tank.
Some of the tools you will need are:
- 1/4" socket set
- Fuel line disconnect tools
- Push pin removal tool
- Lift or jack and jack stands
Overall this one should take you roughly half an hour to complete. Let’s head over and show you how simple this one is to replace.
- First, we will need to pop the hood to access the fuse panel to depressurize the fuel system. Depending on your year and model, check out LMR's 05-14 Mustang Fuse Panel Diagram Article to better help and remove the associated fuse or relay for the fuel pump.
- Once you have this removed, you can go into the car and turn the engine over a few times to relieve any residual fuel pressure.
- Once this is completed, go ahead and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Next, you will need to lift the car via a lift or jacks and jack stands.
- Heading under the car, you will need to locate the filter’s protective cover. This will be held in place by a few 10mm bolts and a couple of push pins. Go ahead and remove these and pull the shield out of the way.
- Now that we have the shield out, you can see the filter and the lines. Depending on the model, you may need a set of fuel line disconnect tools.
- Slide a drain pan or a bucket under the car to catch any residual fuel.
- Let’s start on the end facing the rear of the vehicle. Make sure that when you go to remove this line, you are wearing gloves and eye protection. On this application, we have a quick-disconnect fitting. Push in on the green tab to release the line and pull it away from the filter. Again, please make sure to be safe here since you are dealing with a flammable liquid.
- On the front line, we did not have this quick disconnect style fitting. We did have to use our disconnect tool on this one. Find the correct sizing and seat this one into the female end of the line. Push in to release the spring tab and then pull the line away to remove it from the filter.
- Allow a few mins to allow any excess fuel to drain off then you can fully remove the fuel filter from the bracket. As you can see here, this filter was filthy! We had years of dirt and debris that came out. Replacing the filter will bring your performance back to where it should be.
- Going back on is as simple as it came off. Make sure to read your new filter and look for the directional arrow. This will need to be facing the front of the vehicle.
- Slide the filter through the bracket and seat the rear line until you hear an audible click.
- Do the same for the front side.
- Reinstall the protective shield.
- Reinstall your relay or fuse and reconnect the battery.
- Start the car and check over for any leaks, and you are all done.
We hope that this article has helped you and you have a better understanding of how to remove and replace your fuel filter for your S197 Mustang.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.