How To Install Mustang Short Throw Shifter (15-17)
Last Updated 10/14/2020 by Taylor Ward
How To Install Mustang Short Throw Shifter (15-17)
- Socket Set
- Jack/Jack Stands Or Lift
- Small Piece Of 2x4
- Start by removing the shift knob. Rotate the shift knob counterclockwise to remove it from the handle.
- Using a plastic trim removal tool, separate the shifter bezel from the center console.
- Pull up slightly on the shifter boot and release the three small tabs on the reverse lockout sleeve.
- Remove the anti rattle clip if equipped, and the lower boot from the car.
- Place the car on jackstands or lift it up with a lift as high as you can safely get it.
- Loosen the two exhaust sleeves with a 15mm socket.
- Remove the 4 bolts securing the 2 rear exhaust hangers closest to the mufflers with a 10mm socket.
- Remove the 2 bolts securing the 2 exhaust hangers on the IRS subframe and with the help of a friend, remove the exhaust system from the car.
- Mark the rear of the driveshaft and pinion flange for reference, along with the front of the driveshaft and the flex coupling.
- Support the tranmission with a jack and remove the 4 tranmission crossmember bolts with a 19mm socket. Remove the 3 crossmember to transmission bolts with a 15mm socket and remove the crossmember.
- With a 15mm socket on the bolt and an 18mm wrench on the nut, remove the driveshaft to flex joint hardware .
- Loosen and remove the drive shaft center bearing bolts (It is strongly recommended to have a friend hold the driveshaft in place).
- Remove the 6 10mm bolts from the rear of the driveshaft & remove the driveshaft from the car.
- Remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the shifter housing the the transmission tunnel.
- Remove the gearshift lever to transmission bolt with a 10mm open wrench. It will help if you lower the transmission roughly 4".
- Remove the gearshift lever bolt with a 13mm stubby open end wrench and remove the shifter assembly.
- Place the shifter on a 2x4 and use a punch to hammer out the roll pin from the shifter lever & remove the spring from the lever.
- Remove the shoulder bolt for the reverse lockout sleeve and then remove the sleeve from the shifter lever.
- Remove the rubber isolater from the shifter.
- Remove the 4 lower housing cover bolts.
- Roll back the rubber boot and separate the actuator from the shifter lever pivot.
- Remove the 2 shift lever retaining plate bolts and remove the plate.
- Slide the shifter level through the shifter housing.
- Remove both pivot isolators from the shifter lever.
- Apply a liberal amount of the supplied PTFE grease to the shifter lever pivot and the linkage.
- Reinstall the pivot on the linkage.
- Apply a liberal amount of the supplied grease to the pivot isolator bushing and the linkage.
- Reinstall the isolator on the linkage.
- Slide the lever through the housing and verify the hold for the reverse lockout shoulder boat is oriented towards the driver's side of the shifter housing and reinstall the shift lever retaining plate over the shifter.
- Apply blue thread locker to the retaining plate bolts and torque to 75 lb/inches.
- Apply a liberal amount of the supplied grease to the lower actuator arm and bushing.
- Align the actuator arm bushing with the shift housing and lower shifter pivot.
- Install the included housing gasket onto the assembly.
- Position the housing cover onto the assembly and reposition the dustboot over the housing.
- Apply blue thread locker to the four bolts and torque to 75 lb/inches.
- Apply some PTFE grease to the shift lever and install the provided reverse lockout sleeve over the shifter handle.
- Install the shoulder bolt with red thread locker and torque to 16 lb/inches.
- Install the spring over the shifter lever and use the same method when reinstallting the roll pin as you did when you removed it.
- Knockout the factory front bushing and remove both halves and install the included front isolator bushings.
- Slide the isolator over the end of the assembly.
- Reassemble your car in the reverse order as disassembly making sure to line up the marks you previously made on the driveshaft and you're done!
About the Video
Mustang Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter - Install (2015-2020 MT82)
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2015-08-18
Buy Now: https://latemodelres.to/M7210MA
S550 Short Throw Shifter
Shift like a pro in your 2015-2020 Mustang with this Ford Performance short throw shifter! This shifter features a 19% shorter throw over the factory shifter, giving you quicker, more accurate shifts. The shorter shaft improves driver feel and feedback for precision shifts every time. The lever has the factory M12x1.25 thread pattern to retain the use of your factory shift knob. Increased durometer bushings are included to improve shifting and durability. Ford Performance includes all necessary hardware and instructions for quick and easy installation!
-Fits 2015-2020 Mustang GT, Bullitt, Ecoboost, and V6 with MT82 manual transmission
Item # M7210MA
MPN # M-7210-MA
#LMR #S550 #ShortThrowShifter