How To Install Mustang 5.0 Resto Strut Mount Sleeve Kit (1985-04)
Created by Cristian Coronado
Last Updated 5/17/2021
79 93 mustang
94 04 mustang
- To begin the install support the vehicle with a lift or jack stands and remove the front wheels. (if using jack stands only lift the front of the vehicle)
- If you have aftermarket ball joints, make sure the grease fitting is removed, then support the control arm by placing a small block of wood in between the floor jack and ball joint.
- Remove the (2) 17mm caliper retaining bolts. Move the caliper up just enough to allow access to the strut to spindle hardware.
- To remove the top hardware, use a 24mm socket on one side and a 21mm box end wrench on the bolt head. To remove the lower hardware, use a 24mm box end wrench on the nut and a 21mm socket on the bolt head.
- Apply WD-40 to the upper strut mount retaining nut, then loosen and remove with a 24mm socket.
- Lower the jack until the strut is free from the strut tower, then remove the strut to spindle bolts.
- Once the strut has been removed, remove the lower bushing and spacer. Replace the bump stop with a new one if it is deteriorated or dry-rotted.
- On a workbench, install the new lower bushing assembly into the new sleeve. Slide the end on the zip tie through the opening.
- Use a set of needle-nose pliers to apply tension to the zip tire by rotating the pliers. Cut the metal zip tie approximately 1/4" from the lock. Rotate the end of the zip tie inward to tuck it out of the way.
- Slide the new sleeve over the strut shaft, then reinstall the strut into the vehicle and ensure the strut shaft passes through the strut tower opening.
- Install the new shell and upper bushing, then position the large washer over the strut shaft and then thread on the retaining nut.
- Align the spindle with the strut and reinstall the bolts and nuts. Use the same combination of tools to tighten the strut to spindle hardware as you used to remove it.
- Reinstall and tighten the caliper retaining bolts.
- Fully tighten the strut shaft retaining nut, then lower the jack and reinstall the grease fitting into the lower ball joint.
- Reinstall the wheel and repeat steps 2-15 for the other side.
About the Video
1985-2004 Mustang 5.0 Resto Strut Mount Sleeve Kit - Install & Review
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2018-08-23
Mustang Strut Mount & Sleeve Kit.
If your Mustang's strut mounts or strut sleeves have seen better days, get them replaced with this kit from 5.0 Resto. This kit includes 2 strut mounts, 2 strut sleeves, and 2 stainless steel clamps to fix your worn out components. These mounts and sleeves wear out over time and can leave your struts exposed to the elements. Pick up this kit and make the fix quickly and easily!
- Will not fit 1984-1986 SVO model.
Application: 1985-2004 Mustang
Item # LRS-18161A-K