In this removal article, we will be showing you how to remove the rack and pinion for all 1994-2004 Mustangs. The rack and pinion are a vital part of your Mustang’s chassis. If this is worn or leaking, it can affect the overall safety and handling of the vehicle. Normal wear and tear over time can cause excessive play in the steering, wandering on the road, pump failure due to fluid loss, or even an accident can happen.
You can use this general removal on all 1994-2004 vehicles. Throughout these year ranges, some hose fitting and bolt sizes can vary. Overall this one should take you roughly an hour to complete.
- Lift or jacks
- Jack stands
- 3/8" ratchet or impact
- Assorted sockets
- Pry bar
- Start by lifting the car via a lift or jacks and jack stands.
- Remove both front wheels.
- Locate the outer tie rods on each spindle. Remove the cotter pin if equipped.
- Using a 3/8" ratchet and an 18mm socket, loosen and remove the attaching nuts holding this to the spindle.
- Once these are removed, you can use your hammer and strike the forward-facing side of the ear on the spindle to free the tie rod.
- Next, we will want to separate the steering shaft from the rack. Mark the rack using a paint pen if you intend to reinstall the stock rack. This will help with alignment when going back into place.
- You can turn the wheel slightly to gain access to the bolt holding the shaft to the rack. If you have a friend handy, have them hold the wheel while removing this bolt can help. This will keep the wheel from spinning, especially on airbag-equipped cars. Loosen and remove the 13 mm bolt.
- Once the bolt is out, you can separate the shaft from the rack. Take this time to inspect the steering shaft for any noticeable wear or damage. If you need to replace this, you can check out our full line of steering shafts at the end of the article.
- Use a 15mm socket on the backside and an 18mm socket on the forward-facing nut; remove both nuts and washers on the front side of the rack.
- Now you can slide out both of the bolts holding the rack to the K-member.
- At this time drop the rack down slightly here to gain better access to both of your lines. Using a pry bar, slowly work the rack off of the K member.
- Slide a drain pain under this section of the rack and then remove both lines by unscrewing the fittings. The pressure and return lines will both be 18mm.
- Now you can fully remove the rack from the vehicle.
- Now you can take this time to inspect both lines, including the Teflon washers. If you are going back in with a factory replacement or upgraded part then check out our step-by-step 94-04 Mustang power steering rack install.
All right, everybody, we hope that this article has helped you better understand how to remove the steering rack for your 94-04 Mustang.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.