If you're a proud owner of a 1979-1993 Fox Body Mustang, removing your rear bumper to install a new one or doing basic maintenance is pretty common. So we're here to help you out and walk you through the simple steps to get it done.
This removal and install will take roughly 30-45 minutes to complete.
- Lift or Jacks & Jack Stands (Not needed, but will be benefitial)
- Socket Set and Wrenches
- Trim Panel Removal Tool
- Open the hatch or trunk. (You may find it beneficial to support the rear of the car with jack stands or the entire vehicle with the lift)
- Open the hatch and roll back the carpet remove the jute padding and the spare tire board. (We were working with the hatchback, so we'll have to remove the rear interior panels)
- Start with the larger piece first loosen and remove all of the phillips head screws.
- Bring the trim panel away from the interior rear quarter panel and flip it around to gain access to the light connection.
- Carefully dislodge the plastic clips and then disconnect the electrical connection. (You can go ahead and set this panel aside)
- Loosen and remove the phillips head screws on the smaller trim panel and then go ahead and remove it from the car.
- On the driver's side, push the sound any material out of the way and then locate the (3) 11/32nd retaining nuts running down the rear area of the body. The few tools we found that were helpful are a quarter-inch drive ratchet with a swivel and a gimbal or palm ratchet. Go ahead and loosen and remove these nuts.
- Running the length of the trunk area is (4) 11/32nd nuts. Loosen and remove.
- On the passenger side, loosen and remove all (3) 11/32nd nuts.
- Underneath the car, dislodge the rubber overflow hose from the plastic retainer.
- GT models will have to loosen and remove the (4) 11/32nd nuts securing the rear bumper to the quarter panel molding. There are (2) of these nuts per side.
- Also on GT models, there are a total of (6) push pins securing the bottom of the bumper to the lower reinforcements. You want to dislodge these with the trim removal tool.
- Now you can gently remove the rear bumper from the car. To reinstall the bumper you'll simply reverse these steps.
- As far as the rear bumper removal process goes, it's pretty straightforward with the only obvious struggle of getting to the lower inside nuts. Other than that you should have it off and back on in no time at all.
All right, everybody, we hope that this article has helped you better understand how to remove your 1986-1993 Fox Body Mustang rear bumper.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.