There is nothing worse than having a subpar charging system on your 1994-95 Mustang. This can cause many different issues including idle problems, dimming lights, or even a dead battery. This is an awesome upgrade for any 94-95 5.0 Mustang and install time should roughly take you about an hour from start to finish.
Let's head over to our 1995 Cobra we have in the shop today to show you how simple the alternator is to remove & install!
- First, open your hood and support the hood with your prop rod. Next, disconnect both the positive and negative battery terminals.
- Now, you can remove the stock air box from the car. You will have your main clamp at the throttle body and the 8mm bolt on the fender.
- Remove the grommet from the fender.
- Disconnect the vent tube going to the oil fill nipple.
- Make sure to disconnect both the mass air flow connector and air charge temp sensor when removing the airbox.
- Remove the inlet tube located at the throttle body. Now you can fully remove the air intake from the car.
- Pull up on the airbox to release this from the studs on the lower frame rail.
- Using a 3/8" drive ratchet and extension, loosen the belt tensioner and remove the belt. Set the belt aside.
- If your vehicle is still equipped with the air injection tube bracket, remove the 10mm bolt on the bracket at this time.
- Locate both of the retaining bolts holding the alternator to the bracket. The lower bolt is a 15mm and the top bolt is a 13mm. Remove both of these at this time.
- Using a flat bladed screwdriver or pry bar, dislodge the alternator from the bracket.
- Flip the alternator over and locate the stator and regulator plugs, as well as the factory power wire. Remove the cover on the main battery lug and then remove the 10mm nut holding this in place. Take this time to check over your regulator and stator connectors. If these are damaged or broken, we have you covered. Check out the links in the description if you need to replace these.
- Using a small flat bladed screwdriver pull up on the tabs and remove these from the alternator.
- Start by installing your stator plug, voltage regulator plug, and then your power wire.
- Before reinstallation of the alternator, take a small hammer and lightly tap the bolt retainer towards the front of the vehicle. This will allow the alternator to go in much easier.
- Now you can set the alternator back in place on the bracket.
- Line up the holes and install the upper and lower bolts. Tighten these down to spec.
- Take this time to reinstall the 10mm bolt on the air injection pump bracket.
- Reinstall the serpentine belt.
- Reinstall the airbox, mas air flow connector, and air charge temp sensor connector, and make sure to fully seat the stud in the grommet location on the inner frame rail.
- Go ahead and install your vent tube back in place at this time.
- Reinstall the rubber grommet and the 8mm bolt in the fender.
- Tighten down your main clap located at the throttle body.
- Reconnect both of your battery terminals.
- Check over all of your work and you are all done!
As always, keep it here with the real Mustang enthusiasts at LMR.com.