Restoring 1994-2004 Mustang Quarter Window Trim
Date Created: 12/10/2021
Last Updated: 12/14/2022
Dingy or pitted quarter window trim can be common on all 94-04 Mustangs. We will walk you through the process of restoring these from start to finish!
new edge mustang
1994-2004 quarter window trim is a common area of the SN chassis and normally shows years of sun fade and wear. Overall, this exterior area of your Mustang can stick out like a sore thumb for any SN or New Edge application. Follow along as Uncle Ted and Landan go over the steps on the proper restoration process of these trim pieces.
- To begin, make sure to thoroughly clean the surface with a lint-free towel and denatured alcohol.
- Mask off the surrounding area to avoid scratching any painted surface or glass.
- Now, we can start with the sanding process. Using a course 220 grit sandpaper, sand the entire surface of the trim. Do not concentrate on just the damaged area here, and make sure you use light pressure when sanding. Continue sanding until all pitting is a level as possible.
- Take this time to clean the surface again with your lint-free towel and denatured alcohol.
- Start masking off all surfaces on the vehicle. Do not be stingy here; mask off any painted surface and glass to avoid over-spray on the vehicle.
Primer and Paint Process
- Once you have everything prepped and masked off, we can begin the primer process. Clean off the surface one last time to remove all oils and greases. Begin by applying a few very light coats and allow 5-10 mins of drying time.
- After your first coat has dried, apply a slightly thicker coat. Again, make sure to allow an additional 5-10 for dry time. Repeat this process for coat 3, 4, and then coat 5 of your primer.
- After your primer has completely dried, we can now move in with 400 grit sandpaper and wet sand the area. Make sure to spray this down frequently and apply light pressure here. After you have completed the sanding with 400 grit paper, you can repeat this process using 600 grit. Thoroughly dry the surface and you can then clean it one last time with a lint-free towel and denatured alcohol.
- Using SEM Trim Paint apply a few very light coats and allow 5-10 mins of drying time. Repeat these steps for the 2nd and 3rd coat.
- Once your paint has fully dried, you can now carefully remove all of your maskings from the vehicle.
Now you can admire your freshly restored quarter window trim! We hope this article has helped you with the restoration of your quarter window trim for your 94-04 Mustang. This can seem like a daunting task, but if you take your time here, the end product is something you can be proud of!
Shop Top SN95 Mustang Parts
About the Video
Restoring 94-04 Mustang Quarter Window Trim | ShopTalk
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2021-11-17
For all you 94-04 owners, the quarter window trim can get kinda nasty and take a lot of damage over the years. But don't worry, Uncle Ted is going to walk you through the process of restoring your SN95/New Edge Quarter Window Trim!
Looking to restore the exterior of your 94-04 SN95/New Edge Mustang? Check out everything that you need to make it happen! | https://latemodelres.to/9404ExteriorRestoration_YouTube
#LMR #NewEdge #Mustang
Use of this video is subject to the terms as set forth in our LMR Install Video Disclaimer | https://lmr.com/page/lmr-install-video-disclaimer