How To Install Fox Body Mustang Window Motor Gear (79-93)
Last Updated 2/5/2020 by Jourdan Heady
79 93 mustang
- First you will need to start by removing the door panel, if you are not sure how to remove the door panel check out our video on how to do so here.
- Next you will need to peel back the moisture barrier to expose the inner working of the door if they have seen better days you can pick up some replacements from LMR.com.
- If you have a door speaker you will need to remove the retaining screws to get to the wiring on the speaker.
- Once the screws are removed from the speaker depress the tab on the speaker connector to separate the wiring connector and set speaker aside.
- Next you need to get a pair of vise grips and a rag to hold the window up so it does not fall down when you remove the motor. Clamp the vise grips to the guide rod using the towel so it does not marr up the guide rod and cause damage to the rod.
- Now locate the (3) retaining screws for the wind motor, they are circled in the picture below. Remove (2) of the bolts. Next take out the last window motor screw while supporting the window motor with your free hand.
- Once all (3) screws are removed carefully pull the window motor out of the door through the speaker hole.
- Now that the motor is out of the car place on a good working surface and remove the screw on the cover and carefully pry the cover off.
- Carefully pry the metal gear off the shaft with a flat tip screwdriver.
- Remove the plastic drive gear from the motor and this can be thrown away as you will be replacing this part.
- Take this time to througly clean all the grease from the parts being reused and wipe clean with some quality brake clean.
- Shaft once all the old grease is cleaned off, apply grease to the inside of the motor housing, worm gear and plastic drive gear.
- Now install the drive gear back into the motor making sure it aligns with the worm gear.
- Replace the cover and tighten down the retaining screw.
- Be sure to apply small amount of grease to the metal gear to ensure smooth operation.
- Reinstall motor back into the door through the speaker opening and install the top screw while using your free hand to hold it, once started to can put in the other (2) screws.
- Be sure to reconnect the window motor harness and remove vise grips securing the window in the up position. Now check for smooth operation and no funny noises and you should be good to go!
Window Motor Gear For Sale!
About the Video
Fox Body Mustang Window Motor Gear Install (79-93)
Check out our YouTube channel for even more tech tips, installation videos, how-tos, and more. The best place to go for anything Mustang related!
Published on 2019-03-27
1979-1993 Mustang 5.0 Resto Window Motor Gear
Does your Mustang's door window make a nasty racket when you attempt to roll it up? The window motor gear located inside the window motor could be to blame. This 5.0 Resto gear assembly includes the small outer metal gear, the larger diameter plastic inner gear and three window gear bushings, aka torque pins.
Will not work on convertible rear window motors
-Fits: 1979-1993 Mustangs