In this article, we will be going over the removal and installation of the inner and outer quarter belt weatherstrips for all 1990-1993 convertible Mustangs. Often referred to as "dew wipes". The Mustang convertible inner and outer quarter window belt weatherstrips are located on the inner and outer edge of the quarter window. These help to wipe the window clean as it rolls up & down as well as provide a bit of stability to the window glass.
This 5.0 Resto Rear Quarter Belt Glass Weatherstrip is a direct replacement for the factory piece on 1990-1993 Ford Mustang convertibles. We do want to note, the inner weatherstrip design will slightly vary on the 83-89 and the 90-93 year ranges due to the interior quarter panel design. Other than the slight design changes, the installation of these parts will be the same.
You can set aside a solid afternoon to complete this task. Keep in mind, in this article you will see other parts being used. Check the links below on these items shown:
Let’s head to the interior of the car first.
Inner Quarter Belt Weatherstrip Replacement
- Go ahead and remove the rear seat back and the seat bottom at this time.
- To make the installation a little easier you can remove the seat belts from the quarter panel.
- Pull the interior quarter panels from the body of the car.
- Now you can disconnect your window switch.
- Moving to a clean work surface, set the quarter panel down and we can start to drill out the rivets. Using a 9/64 drill bit, drill out each of these rivets.
- If any of the rivet is still left in the panel you can drive this out using a hammer and a drift.
- Take this time to clean up the panel.
- The existing weatherstrip we had on this car was a different design than the new one. This resulted in none of the existing holes lining up.
- Set the new weatherstrip in place and make sure the chrome strip is aligned to the panel.
- Use a marker to mark the new holes.
- Once you have it aligned, drill out the three new holes with the 9/64” bit.
- Now you can seat all of the rivets and attach these to the quarter panel.
Outer Quarter Belt Weatherstrip Replacement
- Moving to the outer weather strips you will need to remove the upper well molding from the vehicle.
- You will need a 9/64" drill bit and drill out the three retaining rivets holding the weatherstrip in place.
- After doing some initial dry fits, make sure the notched area shown faces the front of the molding.
- We also had to enlarge the holes slightly with a razor blade to allow the head of the rivet to pass through.
- Moving to a clean work surface, take the new molding over and you will need to drill out the 3 new holes for the retaining rivets. Start in the center of the weatherstrip and drill out a 9/64” hole.
- Once this is drilled, secure the rivet in place.
- Do the same for the other 2 holes and repeat these same steps for the other side.
- Reinstall both of the upper well moldings.
- Reinstall the interior quarter panels.
- Reinstall the rear seat back and bottom.
- Now you can check over your work and you are all done!
We hope that this article has helped you, and you have a better understanding of how to install these weather strips on your convertible Fox.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the real mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.