In this article, we will be going over removing and installing 5.0 Resto's door latches for the 1979-1993 Mustangs. These door latches are a vital part of any Fox restoration. 5.0 Resto has stepped up yet again with a superior restoration item for your Fox.
The door latch will serve as the main junction point between all of your inner door rods. These will also ensure that your door is securely shut to keep you and your Fox body safe. One of the leading causes for failure on these will be the door alignment. Years of wear on the hinges and striker will cause premature failure of these latches. Overall these replacement steps should take you around an hour per side.
Some of the tools you will need for this one will include the following:
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Needle Nosed Pliers
- 1/4" Socket Set
- Door Panel Removal Tool
Today in the shop, we have our 1990 Mustang GT that we will be working on. Let’s head over to the car and walk all of you through how these latches go on.
- Start by opening the drivers and passenger doors. Next, you will need to remove your door panels from the vehicle. If you are not familiar with this process, don’t worry; we have you covered. Our Fox Body Door Panel Removal Articles for 1981-86 & 1987-93 models should answer any questions you may have.
- Once you have your door panels removed, you can start by removing the (3) Phillips screws on the door jam’s outer edge.
- Now that the latch is loose, you can start to disconnect all of the interior rods connected to the latch. The order you can remove these rods that I found most accessible will be the outer door handle, inner door lock knob, inner door handle rod, the door lock actuator, and the door lock cylinder.
- Now you can remove the door latch from the car.
- Before going back in with the new latch, you will need to either transfer the old door lock actuator bushing back over to the new one, or you will need to replace this with our 5.0 Resto door latch rod replacement bushings.
- We would also like to note that these parts will be side-specific. Make sure you install the left hand on the driver side and the right on the passenger side.
- Going back in with the new latch will be a little tedious. Make sure you reverse the procedures on the door rods and take your time here. Ensure all of the rod clips are secure and there is no binding on any of the rods once installed.
- The new latch assembly will include (3) new screws and washers for the installation. You need to make sure to use these; the factory hardware will not fit on the new latch.
- Loosely screw in each of the screws, then fully tighten.
- Once you have the latch in place, verify the proper operation of each component once completed. Make sure to repeat all of these steps for the other side.
- Now you can reinstall your door panels.
- Check over your work and admire how much easier your door is to open and shut!
We hope that this video has helped you and you have a better understanding of how to install these door latch assemblies.
As always, make sure to keep it here with the Real Mustang Enthusiasts at LMR.com.