2000 Cobra R Oil Change
With only 300 of these ever made, changing the oil on the 2000 Cobra R isn't different from your typical 99-04 Mustang. But we figured why not show y'all what it's like! So follow along and see how we changed the oil on our 2000 Cobra R!
You will want to change your Mustang's oil every 3,000 miles or every three months, whichever comes first. With a 2000 Cobra R, this may vary, depending on how often it is driven.
Here's what we used for the Cobra R:
- 8.5 Quarts of Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic | 15W-40
- Ford Racing Oil Filter | CM-6731-FL820
- Socket Set
- Drain Pan
- Piece Of Cardboard/Plastic Bag (Optional)
- Oil Filter Wrench (Optional)
- Brake Clean (Optional)
Steps To Change Your 2000 Cobra R Oil
- Lift your Mustang with either jacks and a jack stand or with a lift.
- Locate your drain plug, place a bucket or drain pan under it, loosen the drain plug and allow it to drain.
- Take this time to inspect your drain plug & spray it down with brake clean.
- Once the oil has slowed to a drip, install the drain plug back into the pan and tighten down. Make sure not to overtighten as stripping the threads may occur.
- Locate your oil filter and slide your drain pan underneath it. Cut a strip of cardboard into a rectangle. Reach up and break loose your oil filter. Once the filter is loose, slide the piece of cardboard under the oil filter to catch any oil that may drip, and remove your oil filter. Before you install your new oil filter, make sure that the filter gasket is not stuck to the mating surface as this could cause a major leak.
- Apply a thin layer of oil on the oil filter rubber seal and twist onto the oil filter adapter. Hand tighten the filter and do not over tighten. See your local Ford Dealer for more info.
- Loosen & remove the fill cap on the valve cover.
- Using a funnel, pour 8.5 Quarts of oil into your fill tube.
- Replace your fill cap, check your work, and you're finished!