How To Time Your Mustang Ignition (86-93)
Advancing the ignition timing on your Fox Mustang is one of the age old "free" horsepower mods. A timing light, a wrench, and a little bit of time will net you more power. Thats just one reason to adjust your timing. The other is if you've moved your distributor at all. If you have replaced, removed/installed, turned, or twisted your distributor you need to check & possibly adjust your ignition timing!
Checking and adjusting the ignition timing won't take long, but will require you to have a timing light and a specialty distributor wrench or a 1/4" ratchet, long extension, swivel joint, and a 1/2" socket. Before getting started, a good "best practice" is to clean & clearly mark your harmonic balancer as well as the leading edge of the timing pointer (has TIME stamped right next to it).
- Timing Light
- Specialty Distributor Wrench or 1/4" Ratchet
- Long Extension
- Swivel Joint
- 1/2" Socket
- To start out, remove the spout connector then lightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt. Not too much, just enough to where you can twist the distributor with a little bit of force.
- Hook up your timing light to the number one spark plug wire. Start the car.
- Checking your timing. On this car I'm going to go for twelve degrees initially and then after some driving will bump it up by two degree increments until we get some detonation and the bump it down.
- Once you get your timing at the proper point lock down the distributor hold down, kill the engine, plug your spout connector back in, start the car back up, and then verify that the computer is actually advancing timing
Once verified, your good to take it for a ride!
If you need help on replacing your Distributor, check out our How To Install A Mustang Distributor