How To Set Mustang Idle
Created by Taylor Ward
Last Updated 5/19/2021
Setting the idle on your Ford Mustang doesn't have to be a daunting task! Follow LMR's less than 10 step process to get your idle where it needs to be.
79 93 mustang
94 04 mustang
1986-1995 Mustang Idle Setting Procedure
From Ford Performance
Please Note: These steps MUST be performed in sequence.
- Get engine to operating temperature.
- Disconnect IAC (Idle Air Control) Solenoid. If the engine stalls, turn the throttle-stop screw in one full turn and restart. Repeat as necessary until the engine will idle with IAC unplugged.
- Set idle using throttle stop. Idle speed will vary depending upon modifications made to the engine. Set to where you are comfortable with idle speed.
- Set TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) anywhere from .96 to .98 volts. This is done by loosening the mounting screws and lightly rotating TPS. If you cannot obtain the desired range, you may need to make the mounting holes slightly larger. This can be done by drilling them.
- TPS wire colors to be probed are generally BLACK and GREEN wire or the GRAY/RED and GRAY/WHITE, depending on your vehicle.
- Stop engine. Disconnect negative terminal battery cable for 15-20 minutes. You may wish to tap the brakes or turn the headlights on and off a few times as this will help to ensure that you have purged any remaining electrical current from the vehicle.
- Reconnect IAC Solenoid
- Reconnect battery cable to the negative terminal
- Restart engine.
- If problem persists, inspect for mass air meter problems and possible vacuum leaks.
Mustang Engine Sensors by Year
Mustang Sensors & Emissions